Kohli was an extremely successful skipper and holds some unprecedented records as an Indian captain in Test cricket. Under Virat Kohli’s captaincy, team India held the No.1 position in ICC test rankings for 42 months from October 2016 till March 2020.
Why Virat Kohli was one of the best Captian in Indian Cricket History?
- Virat Kohli is the only Asian captain to have the most wins (40) in Test Cricket.
- He is the only captain to have the most wins (16) with 200+ run margins.
- As a captain, he has the highest win percentage (77) as a home test captain.
- Only Asain captain to have scored most top scores (5) in SENA.
- Under his leadership, Team India has the most away wins (12) by a 100+ runs margin.
- As a captain, he scored the most test centuries (20) in the decade (2010-2020).
- The top three individual scores by an Indian captain all belong to Kohli (254*, 243, and 235).
Virat Kohli Captaincy Records in Different Formats
- Virat Kohli Captaincy Record in ODI
- Virat Kohli Captaincy Stats in T20I
- Virat Kohli Captaincy Record in IPL
Virat Kohli Test Captaincy Record
- Based on Win percentage, Kohli stands third among all 28 test captains who have at least led a team in 40 or more matches.
- Among all test captains who have to lead their teams in at least 50 matches, Kohli has the highest batting average of 54. This is the highest among Asian captains with Imran Khan coming in next at 52.
- Under his captaincy, India Played the final of the first-ever World Test Championship against New Zealand.
- He is the fourth most successful test captain in terms of the number of wins (40) after Graeme Smith, Ricky Ponting, and Steve Waugh.
Test Captaincy Record in India
- At home venues, team India lost only 02 test matches under Kohli’s captaincy.
- Virat Kohli won 23 matches out of a total of 31 matches played at home.
- His won percentage at home is 77 percent which is the highest among all Indian test captains.
Test Captaincy Record in Away Matches
- Virat Kohli won 16 Matches out of 34 Matches played overseas. These are the highest number of wins by any Indian captain at away venues.
- As an overseas captain, Kohli had a superb average of 46 with the bat along with 10 Centuries and 12 fifties.
- Among SENA countries, Kohli, as captain, had the highest batting average of 62 against Australia with 04 centuries.
Read More: Virat Kohli Stats Home & Away
Test Captaincy Record at Neutral Venues
On a neutral venue, Virat Kohli captained team India in the World Test Championship final. Team India lost this final.
Win/Loss Streak by Year in Test Matches
- On Average, team India won at least 05 test matches every year under Kohli’s captaincy from 2015 to 2019.
- 2017 was the most successful year for Virat Kohli’s captaincy where he had the highest yearly W/L ratio of 6.
- Virat Kohli had an excellent captaincy record at the ICC World Test Championship where he won 10 matches out of a total of 15 matches played under his captaincy from 2019 to 2021.
Win/Loss Streak by Opposition
- As a captain, Kohli won the most number of matches (18) against England.
- Virat Kohli is the only Indian Captain to win most test matches (07) in SENA countries.
- Team India never lost a match against West Indies under Kohli’s captaincy.
Toss Record in Test Matches
- As a Captain, Virat Kohli’s Toss Won percentage was 45 %.
- Out of 68 Matches played as captain, Kohli won 31 Tosses and lost 37 Toss.
Test Series Stats
- Team India played a total of 24 Series (11 Home & 13 Away) under Kohli’s captaincy.
- Under Kohli’s leadership, team India won 18 Series (11 Home & 07 Away).
- Only 01 series ended in a draw.
Team India’s Test Ranking under Kohli Captaincy
- When Kohli took over the captaincy, team India was in 07 Position in the Test ranking.
- Kohli took team India from 07 to 1st position in the ICC rankings and held that position for 42 months from October 2016 to March 2020.
Virat Kohli’s Test Centuries as a Captain
- As a Test captain, Kohli Scored 20 Centuries, the most of any Indian Captain in history.
- As a captain, Kohli scored 07 double-centuries in test cricket.
Did Virat Kohli Show Poor Captaincy Records?
No, the Virat Kohli Captaincy era was one of the best in Indian cricket history. Due to his captaincy record, India became number 01 in ICC Test Ranking which was an incredible record.