In cricket, a century is a score of 100 or more runs in a single innings by a batter. This is a major milestone for any batsman. A Centurion contributes around 30-50% runs for his side in a Match. A century is also known as a ton in Cricket. We will be looking at the top 10 batsmen with the most centuries in ODI cricket history.
First Century Scored in ODI History
Dennis Amiss from England scored the first-ever century in ODI history in 1972.
No. 01 Position Holders on the list of Most Centuries in ODIs
- 1970-1980 Sir Viv Richard
- 1981-1984 Zaheer Abbas
- 1985-1986 Sir Gorden Greenidge
- 1987-1998 Desmond Haynes
- 1999-2022 Sachin Tendulkar
Most centuries in ODI cricket matches
Here is the list of the top 10 ODI century scorers from the past.
01. Sachin Tendulkar (49)
- Overall, Sachin Tendulkar scored 49 centuries in 24 years long ODI cricket. Sachin Scored 100 centuries in all formats of cricket including Test, ODI and T20I.
- At home, he scored 20 hundred in 149 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 12 centuries in 147 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 17 centuries in 152 ODI matches.
- Most of his hundred were scored against Australia (09) and Srilanka (08).
02. Virat Kohli (43)
- Virat Kohli has the second-biggest number of hundreds in ODI with 43 centuries.
- At home, Kohli scored 19 centuries. As a captain, he scored 21 centuries in ODI.
- At Away, he scored 20 hundred.
- At neutral, he scored only 04 centuries.
- Most of his hundreds were scored against West Indies (09), Australia (08), and Srilanka (08).
03. Ricky Ponting (30)
- Ricky Ponting is at the third number on the list with 30 centuries scored in a 17 years long career.
- His 22 centuries came when Australia batted first.
- At home, he scored 13 hundred in 153 matches.
- At away, he scored 10 centuries in 132 one-day matches.
- At neutral, he scored only 07 hundred in 90 ODI matches.
- Most of his 100’s were scored against India (06), New Zealand (06), and England (05).
- Ricky Ponting was also known for his Superb World Cup performance. He scored 05 centuries in world cup history, second only to Sachin Tendulkar and Rohit Sharma.
04. Rohit Sharma (29)
- Rohit Sharma ranks fourth among top ODI century makers.
- The 2019 World Cup was very special for Rohit Sharma. He scored 05 centuries in that world cup which are the most centuries by any batter in a single edition of the world cup.
- Overall, he has 06 world cup hundreds and equals the record of Sachin Tendulkar’s most centuries in world cup history.
- At home, he scored 11 hundred in 71 one-day matches.
- At away, he scored 10 centuries in 104 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 08 hundreds in 55 ODI matches.
- Rohit Sharma hit the most number of sixes in international cricket by any Indian batter.
05. Sanath Jayasuriya (28)
- Sanath Jayasuriya ranks 5th in the list of centuries makers with 28 total centuries to his name.
- Jayasuriya brought a revolution in ODI cricket through his ability to quickly score runs in Power Plays. He was a trendsetter and the majority of batsmen followed his batting style.
- At home, he scored 07 hundred in 128 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 11 centuries in 149 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 10 centuries in 168 ODI matches.
- Most of his hundreds were scored against India (07) and New Zealand (05).
- Jayasuriya scored 09 ODI hundreds in 1997 which was a record at that time.
06. Hashim Amla (27)
- Hashim Amla scored 27 ODI hundreds in just 182 innings i.e a century about every 07 innings.
- Most of his hundreds were scored against Srilanka (05), Pakistan, and Zimbabwe (03).
- At home, he scored 14 centuries in 69 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 09 hundreds in 74 away matches.
- At neutral, he scored 04 centuries in 38 matches.
- Most of his hundreds (21) were scored in matches when South Africa batted first.
07. AB de Villiers (25)
- Ab de Villiers is one of the most celebrated batsmen of the modern era and ranks 07 with 25 centuries to his name.
- As a captain, he scored 13 hundred.
- At home, he scored 09 hundred in 95 matches.
- At away, he scored 11 centuries in 80 matches.
- At neutral, he scored 05 centuries in 53 One Day matches.
- He scored 18 hundred while batting first and helped South Africa to set a big target.
08. Chris Gayle (25)
- Overall, Chris Gayle has scored 25 centuries in 301 ODI matches.
- Most of his hundreds were scored against England (04) and India (04).
- At home, he scored only 07 centuries in 120 matches.
- At away, he scored 10 centuries in 103 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 08 centuries in 78 ODI matches.
- He scored 03 centuries in ICC Champions Trophy and 02 hundred in World Cup.
- Gayles holds the record for most sixes in international cricket.
09. Kumar Sangakkara (25)
- As a Wicket-Keeper, Kumar Sangakkara scored 23 centuries in ODI cricket.
- His 18 centuries were scored when Srilanka batted first and all of these matches were won by Srilanka.
- At home, he scored 04 hundred in 142 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 10 centuries in 149 ODI matches for Srilanka.
- At neutral, he scored 11 centuries in 113 ODI matches.
- Kumar Sangakkara also has 05 World Cup centuries to his name, 04 hundred in Asia Cup, and 01 in ICC Champions trophy.
10. Sourav Ganguly (22)
- Overall, Sourav Ganguly scored 22 hundred in ODI cricket, 11 were scored as a captain and the remaining 11 were as a player.
- He scored 04 hundred in the World Cup, 01 in the Asia Cup, and 03 in the Champions Trophy.
- At home, he scored 04 centuries in 78 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 06 hundred in 100 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 12 centuries in 133 ODI matches.
- All 22 hundreds were scored when India batted first.
11. Tilakaratne Dilshan (22)
- Overall, Dilshan has 22 centuries to his name in ODI cricket.
- At home, he scored 09 centuries in 124 ODI matches.
- At away, he scored 10 hundred in 134 ODI matches.
- At neutral, he scored 03 centuries in 72 ODI matches.
- Dilshan has 04 centuries in the World Cup and 01 century in ICC Champions Trophy.