Over the years, cricket India has seen some of the world’s greatest captains lead their side into the cricket field. From Ganguly to Dhoni, Kohli to Sharma, team India has been led by the world’s finest cricketers. These men have ensured their country gets the best representation on the field and made many records on the way. But do you guys have any idea about Rohit Sharma’s captaincy record in international cricket? Or about any Indian captaincy record in international cricket?
Rohit Sharma Captaincy Record in International Cricket in All Formats
Rohit Sharma Runs as Captain in All Formats
He is the leading runs scorer in all the matches he captained Indian Team. In 2019, he captained the Indian team for the first time against Sri Lanka.
- Rohit Sharma has scored 2954 runs as captain in 80 matches for the Indian cricket team.
- He scored six centuries with a batting average of 40 and a Strike rate of 114.
- In the second match as Indian captain, he played an absolutely fired inning against Sri Lanka and scored a double century.
Matches Win and Lose as Captains
Rohit Sharma is one of the most successful captains of the Indian Team. His leadership ability is undoubtedly astonishing whether he plays for Mumbai Indians in Ipl or leads the Indian team in international cricket.
- Rohit Sharma captained the Indian team in 80 games and won 62 in all formats.
- He has a winning percentage of 78 as only 11 times any team succeeded in beating India.
- Sharma won 12 games against West Indies, 14 against Sri Lanka, nine against New Zealand, 4 against England, and 3 against Pakistan.
Rohit Sharma T20 Captaincy Record
The Indian team has, over time, seen various players lead their team in the shorter format, but only three of them have led the blue shirts in more than ten t20s. How well have these captains performed on the International stage? One of them is Rohit Sharma, who has alternatively led the side when Kohli was the captain. He was made the permanent captain of the Indian side when Kohli was axed after a poor 2021 T20 world cup.
The current opener of the Indian team, Sharma has been an intellectual leader for the blue shirts and is also their most successful captain by winning a percentage in t20. Although he has seen some recent backlash on his batting as well as his captaincy, this doesn’t overshadow the fact he has an excellent record when leading the side.
Rohit Sharma Runs as Captain in T20I
- In 48 matches, Rohit Sharma scored 1305 runs in 40 matches as captain in T20I. He breaks the record of Virat Kohli for most runs in T20I as captain of the Indian Team.
- In T20I, he scored two centuries and ten fifties.
- His highest run as T20 captain is 117, which he scored against Sri Lanka in 2017.
Win and Lose as Captain in T20I
- He has captained the side in 51 T20I matches.
- India won in 39 of these matches, with only 12 losses to his name.
- This makes him the most successful captain of the Indian team, with a win percentage of 76.47.
- He had alternatively been the captain of this Indian side during Kohli’s absence and was made the permanent captain in 2022.
- Thus, he captained the side from 2017 to 2022 till BCCI start taking an interest to see Hardik Pandya as the next T20 Captain.
Read More: Babar Azam Captaincy Record
Rohit Sharma ODI Captaincy Record
Like t20, One-day cricket has also seen several great Indian captains over the year. They have led India to several ODI trophies by leading from the front with their batting. Several mesmerizing players have led the show not only with their attitude but also with their immense captaincy skills and composure. The first name that comes to one’s mind is MS Dhoni. He has led India in the most number of ODIs. He has been at the helm of a lot of important victories for India. But how is Rohit Sharma’s ODI captaincy record? Let’s look into the details.
Rohit Sharma Runs as Captain in ODI
- in 24 ODI matches; Rohit Sharma had 1120 runs with a batting average of 59.
- As a captain, he has one double century, three hundred and four fifties.
- His highest score as captain in ODI is 208 against Sri Lanka.
Win and Lose as Captain in ODI
- Sharma is a relatively new campaigner when it comes to ODI captaincy.
- Alternatively, he has been the captain of India from 2017 to 2022.
- Although he was made the captain of the side for the first time in 2017, he has only the team in 24 matches so far.
- He has won 19 ODI matches with a winning percentage of 78, with only five ending in defeat.
Rohit Sharma Test Captaincy Record
Test captaincy is prestigious, and India has seen many able players lead them into the test Arena. Although Rohit has been playing for a while, it was not until 2019 that he cemented his place on the Indian test side. The last year or so has been monumental for Sharma as he was made the captain of all three formats, with the latest one being the Test format.
Kohli stepped down as the captain of the Indian team after their 2-1 series loss against South Africa. Since then, Sharma has been the captain of the test side and is the permanent Indian captain of all three formats.
Rohit Sharma Runs as Captain in Test
He played only five matches as Indian Test Captain and scored only 297 runs. 110 against Australia is his runs as captain in Test.
Win and Lose as Captain in Test
- Rohit Sharma led Indian Team in five Test matches won four and lost only one.
- His first assignment since being made the skipper was the test series against Srilanka.
- They won against them convincingly, kicking off his reign with a series win.
- He has only led in three matches, winning all of them.
- Thus, he has 80% winnings percentage as the captain of the Indian test side.
Rohit Sharma Captaincy Record in India / Home
Batting Record as Captain in India
- As a captain, he played 41 matches in India and scored 1691 runs with a batting average of 41.
- Rohit Sharma has scored five hundred and six fifties in India, captain of the Indian team.
Win and Lose as Captain in India
- Rohit Sharma won 36 matches out of 41 with a winning percentage of 89 played under his captaincy in India.
- He won 13 matches against Sri Lanka, nine against West Indies, six against New Zealand, and 2 against Bangladesh, Australia, and South Africa.
- He lost one game against each Bangladesh, New Zealand, and Sri Lanka in India.
Rohit Sharma Captaincy Record at Away
Batting record as captain in Away Matches
- Rohit Sharma scores 492 runs in 20 away matches as captain with a batting average of 31.
- He succeeded in scoring only five fifties in away matches.
- His highest score is 76 against England at Oval Cricket ground.
Win and Lose as Captain in Away Matches
India played 20 games under his captaincy at the home of the opposition, won 11, and lost nine matches.
Rohit Sharma Captaincy Record by Series
- In total, Rohit Sharma won 24 series and lost only three against New Zealand, Bangladesh, and the Asia cup.
- In ODI’s, Rohit Sharma wins four series for India against Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England, and West Indies.
- He led and won only the Test series against Sri Lanka.
- In the T20I series, India won two against Sri Lanka, New Zealand, and West Indies, and one against South Africa, England, and Bangladesh. New Zealand beat India in one series.
Over time, India has seen a lot of captaincy records being set by their captains. They have changed how cricket is played, and each of their captains has a unique approach. Dhoni holds the record for being the only captain of any side to have won every available ICC trophy. No captain can do that, and this is some record! Rohit also has an impressive captaincy record, and there has been a start of a new era under him. Sharma has just been made the permanent captain of all three formats, and we have yet to see how it will affect his batting prowess. He has been a star opener for India for a while and has been a regular part of the team. We have to wait a while to see what Rohit Sharma’s international captaincy records are!