Who doesn’t know Ponting? Ponting has been one of the most successful batsmen and captain for the Australian side. He is the most successful captain in the history of International cricket, with 220 wins in 324 matches. His win percentage as captain was over 67%. He was the captain of the Australian side during their ‘golden era,’ which started during Steve Waugh’s Captaincy, from 1999 to 2011. Widely considered one of the best batters of the modern era, in 2008, he reached the highest rating achieved by a test batsman in over 50 years. But do you know about the details of Ricky Ponting’s captaincy record in International cricket?
This article will tell you all the most delicate details associated with Ricky Ponting and his international captaincy record. So without further ado, let’s move on!
Ricky Ponting Captaincy Record in ODI
Ricky Ponting has been one of the most successful captains in ODI ever to grace the game. He has an excellent record in ODI when it comes to captaincy. Ponting was not only a good player but was also an exemplary leader in the field. His charisma and outstanding character led him to back to a back world cup wins in 2003 and 2007. He won a total of 3 world cups, two of them as the captain of the Australian side.
- He was the captain of the Australian side from 2002 to 2012.
- He captained Australia in a total of 230 matches.
- Out of these, he won 165 of them.
- Thus, his win percentage stands at 76%, which is the best among captains in ODI cricket.
- He only lost 51 matches as a captain, which is the least by any captain who has led their country for more than 150 games.
- He once went on a 34-game winning streak during his tenure.
- He went on as the captain of the Australian side for ten years. This is another record of his name.
Ricky Ponting Captaincy Record in Test Matches
Like ODI, Test has also proven to be a hunting format for the Australian skipper. He has an excellent record in Test cricket as a captain and player.
- He was the captain of the Australian side for six years, from 2004 to 2010.
- During this time, he led the side in 77 matches.
- He won 48 of them, while 16 ended defeat and 13 were drawn.
- He had a W/L ratio of 3 and a win% of 62.
- This makes him one of the most successful captains not only for the Australian side but overall
- For captains leading in more than 70 matches, he has the second lowest number of losses for any side.
Ricky Ponting Captaincy Record in Worldcup:
When it comes to world cups, Ponting’s record is second to none. He won the world cup twice as a captain, in 2003 and the other in 2007. He has been the most successful captain in the world cup, and even some of the world’s great captains have not been able to reproduce the kind of leadership he has seen at the grandest stage. His world cup record is as follows:
- He captained the Australian side in 3 world cups, winning two of them and narrowly losing out to India in the quarter-finals of the third one.
- He was the kipper in a total of 29 matches. He won an astonishing 26 of those matches.
- He lost only twice during the world cups, and one game was no result.
Ricky Ponting Captaincy Record in Ashes
One can say that Ponting was not that lucky regarding the Ashes. He won only one, and lost three Ashes series during his tenure and became the first captain since Alan Border in 1987 to lose an Ashes at home. It was the first such instance, and it happened during Ponting’s reign.
- Ponting led his side in 19 matches in the Ashes.
- He won eight out of them while six ended in defeat.
One can say Ponting has been one of the world’s best captains to date. Although he has ups and downs, he has an excellent record in world cups and ODIs. Although he has a relatively average record in Ashes, his overall record in the test is quite good. Long will it take before someone actually breaks all the records set forth by one of the greatest captains of this generation?