Key Insights About Virat Kohli Captaincy in ODI
- Virat Kohli is the most successful Indian captain in ODI. Kohli won 65 ODI matches out of 95 with a win percentage of 70.43%. MS Dhoni is second on the list with a 59.52 win percentage.
- As a captain, he has the highest average of 72 in ODI.
- He Scored 21 ODI centuries in his captaincy and holds second position in terms of most centuries in ODI’s as captain. But Kohli is fastest to score 21 Centuries as he took only 71 innings while Ricky Ponting took 218 innings.
- Virat Kohli is the second highest runs scorer as Indian Captain in ODI. He Scored 5449 runs in 95 matches with and average of 72. Whereas, MS Dhoni holds first position with 6641 runs in 200 ODI matches with an average of 53.
Virat Kohli ODI Captaincy Record in India
- At home, Kohli scored 2121 runs as captain in 35 matches with an average of 66 (highest among Indian Captains) and holds second position after Ab De Villiers who has more average in home conditions.
- As a Captain on Indian venues, he holds record for most centuries (9).
- Virat Kohli won 24 matches out of 35 matches in India with a win percentage percentage of 68.57. He won 08 matches against Australia, 05 against West Indies and Sri Lanka, 04 against England, and 02 against New Zealand.
- He lost the most number of matches against Australia and only one match was drawn against West Indies in 2019.
Virat Kohli Overseas Captaincy Record in ODI
- Virat Kohli is the 2nd highest run-scorer captain for India in away matches. He scored 2607 runs in 39 innings with an average of 86.89. He has the highest average by any captain in the world in away matches.
- He scored 12 hundreds in away matches which are the highest by any captain in the world.
- Kohli won 27 matches out of 39 away matches with a win percentage of 69.23. India won 05 matches against South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, and Zimbabwe, 03 against New Zealand and Australia, and one match against England.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record on Neutral Venue
- Virat Kohli scored 721 runs at neutral venues with an average of 55.46.
- As ODI captain, Kohli won 12 matches out of 18 played at a neutral venue.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record in World cup
- He scored 377 runs in the 2019 world cup in England. Only Sourav Ganguly scored more runs in the world cup than Virat. He scored 441 runs in the 2002-03 world cup held in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Kenya.
- Under Kohli’s captaincy, India performed well in the 2019 world cup and qualified for the semi-final without losing any match. But unfortunately, their winning streak ended against New Zealand in the semi-final by 18 runs.
- Virat Kohli won 08 out of 09 bilateral series in India. Only the Australian team succeeded to beat India in India under Kohli’s captaincy in 2019.
- He scored 453 runs in the bilateral series against West Indies in 2019. This is the highest run by any Indian captain in the bilateral home series. He broke previous record of 329 runs of Gautam Gambhir which he made against New Zealand in 2009.
- Virat Kohli won 07 out of 10 away series for India. India lost away series in England, Australia, and New Zealand. New Zealand is the only team that succeeded to whitewash India back in 2020 under Kohli’s captaincy.
- Kohli’s 558 runs against South Africa in the away series are the highest by any captain in the away series.
Virat Kohli Win-Loss Record by Years
- Based on number of matches won, 2017 was the lucky year for Virat Kohli as India Won 19 matches out of total 26 played under his captaincy with a Win % of 73.
- 2013 was the most successful year for Kohli in terms of 88 % Win Percentage as he managed to grab victory in 07 out of total 08 matches Played.
- 2020 was the most disappointing year in Kohli’s captaincy as India lost 06 matches out of 09 with a losing percentage of 67%.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record by Opponents in ODI
- As a batting captain, Kohli was brutal against West Indies as he scored 1195 in 17 innings with an average of 99.
- Kohli’s best average was against South Africa where he managed to score 652 runs with an unbelievable average of 163.
- Virat Kohli scored 168 runs against Pakistan in four matches as captain.
- India won 12 matches against each Australia, West Indies, and Sri Lanka.
- India won 07 matches against South Africa and 3 against Bangladesh.
- India won 05 matches against each England, New Zealand and Zimbabwe.
- Indian won 02 matches against Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Virat Kohli Toss Records in ODI
- In 95 ODI matches, Virat Kohli’s toss win percentage is 46%, and toss losing percentage is 52%.
- Coin favored Kohli 40 times only and he lost the toss 55 times.
- Virat Kohli’s highest toss losing streak is 05, back in 2017 during the West Indies tour Virat lost the toss 05 out of 05 times.
- Virat Kohli’s highest toss winning streak is 04, two times he managed to win the toss. First time in 2013-14 vs Zimbabwe and Bangladesh (3+1), and second time against West Indies in 2018.