Virat Kohli was captain of IPL franchise Royal Challenger Banglore for the duration of 8 years in 140 matches. He holds the second position in terms of captaining any team. We will be looking at Virat Kohli captaincy record in IPL history.
Virat Kohli’s captaincy Career in IPL(Indian premier league)
- Out of 140 matches, Virat Kohli won 64 matches and lost 70 matches with a winning percentage of 48.52% (win/lose ratio of 0.927).
- Virat Kohli has the lowest winning percentage record as compared to Test and T20I.
- His longest winning streak is 5, RCB won 5 matches in a row in 2016.
- As a captain, his losing streak is 7 that starting against Rajasthan Royal in 2018 and ending against King Xi in 2019.
- Royal Challenger Banglore Scored the highest total of 263 in IPL history under his captaincy.
- The lowest total of 49 is also scored by RCB in IPL history.
Virat Kohli Batting Record as Captain in IPL
- Virat Kohli is the highest run-scorer as captain in IPL, he scored 4881 runs with an average of 42.
- In 2013, 2016, and 2019 Kohli was the leading run-scorer as captain. He respectively scored 634, 973, and 464.
- He scored 973 runs in 2016 which is the highest by any batter in a season of the Indian Premier League.
- Kohli holds the record for most 4’s by any captain in IPL, he hit 413 fours and 167 sixes.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record Year by Year in IPL
- In 2013, out of 16 IPL matches, RCB won 8 matches, 6 were lost, and 2 were tied Royals ended up with 5th place in the tournament.
- In 2014, out of 14 matches, RCB won 5 matches and 9 were lost. RCB ended up in 7th place in this season.
- In 2015, RCB won 8 matches and lost 6 games, 2 games without any result. The royals ended up with 3rd place in this season.
- In 2016, out of 16 matches, RCB won 9 matches and 7 were lost and they ended with a loss against Sun Rises Hayerabad in the final match
- In 2017, they played 10 matches and won only 2 matches, 8 were lost.
- In 2018, RCB won 6 matches, lost 8 games, and ended up in 6th place.
- In 2019, RCB won 5 matches, lost 8 games, and ended up in 8th place.
- In the 2020/21 season, RCB won 6 matches, lost 8 matches, and ended up in 4th place.
- In 2021, RCB won 9 matches, lost 6, and ended up in 4th place.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record Against IPL Teams
- He won most matches against Delhi Capitals. Out of 18 matches, he won 11 matches and lost 5 games.
- His lowest winning percentage is against Chennai Super Kings. Out of 16 matches, he won only 4 matches and lost 11 games.
- As captain, he scored most runs against Dehli’s capitals, with an average of 60 he scored 775 runs.
- His lowest batting average is 31.41 against King XI Punjab.
Virat Kohli Captaincy Record in IPL Outside India
- He is the 2nd highest runs scorer captain outside India in IPL. He scored 778 runs with an average of 33.82 while KL Rahul is the leading run-scorer with 965 runs.
- During his captaincy, RCB played 28 matches outside India, they won 12 matches and lost 15 matches and one match was tied.
Toss’s record in IPL
- Virat Kohli won tosses in 69 matches with a winning percentage of 49.28.
- He loses toss in 71 matches with a losing percentage of 50.71
RCB playoff history under Kohli’s captaincy
- Under his captaincy, 4 times(2015, 2016, 2020, 2021) RCB qualifies for Playoffs.
- 2 times (2015, 2016) they played in the qualifier, one time (2016 against Gujrat Lions) they succeeded to win and qualify for the next round.
- 3 times (2015, 2020, 2021) reach in Eliminator stage.
- They reach the final in 2015 but were defeated by Sunrisers Hyderabad
- Royal Challenger Banglore never won the IPL title.