In T20 Cricket, scoring quick runs takes skill. Some players go above and above by bashing bowlers and making history by scoring the most T20 runs in a calendar Year.
Since the inception of cricket, it has slowly transformed from a longer format to a shorter format. In its early years, only test cricket was played but since then, it has transformed into T20 and even T10 now. The fastest format of the game, T20 has seen some ruthless batting since its inception. It has seen batsmen take bowlers to the cleaners. Batsmen continue to score at an SR of 200s and 300s.
We have seen a lot of T20 specialists over the years. They have entertained the crowd with their ruthless batting. But go has scored the highest number of runs in T20 in a calendar year? Who tops the scoring charts? This format continues to grow and produce quality batters. This article contains all the information on who has scored the most runs in T20. So without further ado, let’s move on.
Mohammad Rizwan 1326 Runs in 2021
Muhammad Rizwan of Pakistan holds the record for most T20 Runs in a calendar year in T20I. in 2021 he scored 1326 runs in 29 matches and he did that at an emphatic rate.
Widely stated as the opener of the year in 2021, he was arguably the best wicketkeeper-batsman of 2021. he was in sublime form throughout the year. Muhammad Rizwan has been the highest run scorer for Pakistan in a calendar year in the t20s, breaking many records along the way.
- He scored a record 1326 runs in 2021.
- He did this at an average of 73.66 and an SR of almost 135.
- With the highest score of 104, he scored one hundred and 12 fifties.
- Facing 983 balls, he scored 119 fours and 42 sixes.
Babar Azam 939 Runs in 2021
Barbara Azam has been the player of T20 for quite some time now. He held the top spot in the T20 rankings for more than two years. He has been the player of the season for Pakistan year after year. His batting ability has stunned cricket fans and fraternity alike and has been the trademark of Pakistani batting. He scored the second most runs by a Pakistani batsman.
- In 2021, he was the second highest scorer for his country behind Rizwan.
- In 26 innings, he scored 939 runs.
- He did this at an average of 39.56 and a SR of 127.58.
- With a high score of 122, he scored one hundred and 9 fifties in the year.
- He also hit 99 fours and 17 sixes.
Paul Sterling 748 Runs in 2019
A rather surprise entrant in the list, Sterling has been the Ireland player of the year in 2019. Vice caption of the Ireland team, he is known for his power-hitting and his fierce batting. He rose to prominence on the international stage through his ability to score runs at a great pace. Sterling is the first cricketer who has scored 5000 runs for Ireland. He is one of the greatest hitters of the ball Ireland has ever seen.
- In 20 innings, he scored 748 runs with of 41.55.
- He achieved this feat at a strike rate of 141, scoring 90 fours and 17 sixes in the process.
- With the highest score of 91, he scored 8 fifties in the year.
- He also hit 90 fours and 20 sixes during this time.
Kevin O’Brien 729 Runs in 2019
Kevin O’Brien represented Ireland the most number of times. He was one of the eleven players to play Ireland’s first test against Pakistan in 2018. Brien is one of the few players who has been on central contract with the Ireland board. He retired from ODI cricket to focus on tests and T20s for his country.
- In 2019, he played 20 innings scoring at a SR of 155.
- He did this with an average of 41.55, scoring 729 runs. This includes One hundred and 3 fours.
- Facing 469 balls, 67 fours, and a suitable owl.
- He also scored 67 fours and 36 sixes during this time.
M o’ Dowd 702 Runs in 2019
An emerging player for the Dutch, he has been the player of the match for them on countless occasions. He has scored some memorable runs for his side and has continued to be of great benefit to his team. His fierce and fearless batting has led The Netherlands to a lot of victories.
Undoubtedly, He has been the trademark player and has scored the most runs in a calendar year for Netherlands. In 2019, he scored 702 runs in 24 innings. He played with an average of almost 30 and a SR of 131.
- He scored 8 fifties, with the best score of 91 to his name.
- During the year, he hit 69 fours and 16 sixes.
Shikhar Dhawan 689 in 2018
The only player with back-to-back centuries in IPL, he has been a solid player. He is a class player, top scorer for India at the 2013 Champions Trophy, 2015 World Cup, and 2017 Champions Trophy.
Nickname Gabbar, he has a lot of services for the Indian national team. He has scored the most runs in a calendar year in T20 internationals for India.
- In 2018, Dhawan scored 689 runs at an average of 41.
- Playing 17 innings, he had a SR of almost 150, hitting 70 fours and 25 sixes in the year.
- He scored 6 fifties in 2018, with the highest score of 92.
Martin Guptill 678 Runs in 2021
Guptill has been a solid player for the New Zealanders since his debut. He has several records to his name. These include the First New Zealand player to score a double century, the highest individual score in World cup matches, and the second highest score in ODIs of 237 not out and most runs in a calendar year in ODI and t20 for New Zealand . He is only player to score 500 and 600 T20 runs at a single venue.
- In 2021, He scored 678 runs in the year.
- Playing 18 innings in the process, he scored with an average of 38 and a SR of almost 150.
- He scored 5 fifties in the year with the highest score of 97.
- HE also hit 53 fours and 41 sixes during that time.
Virat Kohli 641 Runs in 2015
He is the most successful captain of India in Tests. Kohli has been the best player of the last decade and a lot of people also regard him as the greatest cricketer of all time. He is the backbone of the Indian batting lineup. He has played a lot of great knocks for his country.
- In 2015, he played 13 innings scoring 641 runs. He did this at an average of 107 and a SR of 140 plus.
- He scored 7 fifties with a high score of 90.
- He faced 457 deliveries scoring 70 fours and 9 sixes.
Ben Cooper 637 Runs in 2019
He is the brother of Tom Cooper. He played for the Dutch in 2014 and recently announced his retirement from international cricket only. Currently, he focuses on Australian domestic cricket. He had been an integral part of the Dutch’s national squad and has played a lot of memorable innings for them.
- In 2019, he scored 637 runs. Cooper scored this at an average of with a SR of almost 130.
- He scored 5 fifties, with a highest score of 91 during the year.
- He hit 56 fours and 20 sixes during the process.
Mitchell Marsh 627 Runs in 2021
Marsh made his debut for Australia in 2011 and has since then represented Australia in all three formats. A career full of ups and downs, he has seen been a regular part of the Australian cricket team from time to time. He has played several crucial knocks for his country and has scored the most t20 international runs in a calendar year for Australia.
- In 20 innings, he scored 627 runs at an average of 37 and a SR of 130.
- With the highest score of 77, He scored 4 fifties during the year.
- During this process, he hit 59 fours and 23 sixes.