Cricket is a sport full of records, one of which involves taking the most wickets in one over. Taking the most wickets in an over is one of the most difficult records for any bowler. It requires consistently pitching the ball in the right area to trouble batters. But other bowling records, such as most five wicket hauls and achieving the best bowling figures, are easy records for any bowler.
As it requires very efficient bowling with hundred percent accuracy so therefore, only a few bowlers in history have achieved this feat. In addition, luck plays a role in this record because playing conditions also play a role in taking the most wickets in an over.
Occasionally the playing conditions favor the bowlers in a match, while on other occasions, they benefit the player who bats.
Only a few bowlers in cricket history achieved this exceptional success, and it remains one of cricket’s most enjoyed statistics.
Now, all of you will ask, “Has any bowler ever taken six wickets on six deliveries at an international level?” The answer is “No”.
Highest Wickets in an Over in Local Club Cricket Match
In Local cricket, few players have taken 06 wickets on six balls. Alex Carrey from Australia, Laxman K from India, and Virandeep Singh from Malaysia have reportedly taken 06 wickets on 06 balls in cricket history. They have actually made one over 06 wicket record in local cricket history.
|Laxman K||India||Local Match||06||06|
|Alex Carry||Australia||Local Match||06||06|
|Virandeep Singh||Malaysia||Local Match||06||06|
Now, we will explore the maximum wickets taken in a single over of a professional domestic match.
Most Wickets in an Over in Domestic Cricket Match
Domestic or list A cricket provides a maximum chance for any bowler to develop their maximum bowling skills.
- Neil Wagner took 05 wickets on 06 balls in the Plunket Shield match between Otago and Wellington in the 2011 season.
- Al Amin Hossain from Bangladesh took 05 wickets for UCB-BCB XI against Abahabi Limited in a T20 Cup at Sylhet International Cricket Stadium.
- Abhimanyu Mithun took five wickets for Karnataka against Haryana in Syded Mushtaq Ali Trophy at Surat, India.
|Neil Wagner||First Class||Plunket Shield||Otago Vs Wellington||2013||W-W-W-W-dot-W|
|Al Amin Hossain||T20||Victory Day T20 Cup||UCB-BCB VS Abhani Ltd.||2013||W-2-W-W-W-W|
|Abhimanyu Mithun||T20||Syded Mushtaq Ali Trophy||Karnataka Vs Haryana||2019||W-W-W-W-wide-1-W|
Most Wickets in One Over in Test Cricket
In Test cricket, the maximum number of wickets taken by any bowler in one over is 04. This has happened six times in Test cricket.
- Maurice Wallom was the first bowler in test cricket to take 04 wickets in an over. He achieved this record for England on his debut in 1929 against New Zealand at Christchurch.
- Ken Cranston was the second bowler from England to take 04 wickets in an over of a test match. He achieved this record against South Africa in 1947.
- Fred Titmus was the third bowler in test cricket history to achieve 04 wickets in an over of test match. He achieved this record against New Zealand in 1965.
- Chris Old from England achieved this record versus Pakistan in 1978.
- Wasim Akram, a swing legend who is one of the highest wicket-taker, has also taken 04 wickets in an over. He achieved this record against West Indies in 1990.
- Andy Caddik from England took 04 wickets in over against the West Indies in 2001.
Read More: Most Wickets in Cricket in All Formats
Most Wickets in Over of ODI Cricket
In ODI cricket, the maximum number of wickets any bowler has taken in an over is four. Chaminda Vaas and Laisth Malinga have taken 04 wickets in six balls.
|Chaminda Vaas||SL||04||06||Pietermaritzburg, SA||W W W 4 WD W.||BAN||2003 WC|
|Lasith Malniga||SL||04||04 (02 Overs)||Georgetown||WWWW||SA||2007 WC|
- Chaminda Vaas did this marvel in World Cup 2003 against Bangladesh.
- Lasith Malinga achieved this feat on 04 consecutive balls (2 Overs) against South Africa in World Cup 2007.
Read More: Most Wickets in ODI Cricket
Most Wickets in Over of T20 Cricket
Muhammad Amir of Pakistan is the only bowler in T20I history to have five wickets in an over. In the 2010 World Cup, he took five wickets against Australia. Although technically, all of Muhammad Amir’s wickets were not counted because two of them were run out on dot balls by Kamran Akmal.
|Ball No.||Batter||Wicket Type|
|1||Brad Haddin||Catch (Muhammad Sami)|
|3||Michael Hussey||Run Out (Kamran Akmal)|
|4||Steven Smith||Run Out (Kamran Akmal)|
Most Wicket in one Over in IPL
In the IPL, Andre Russel of the KKR has taken the most wicket in one over. He is the only bowler in IPL history to have four wickets in an over, and it was against the Gujarat Titans.
Read More: 4 Wickets Hauls in IPL
He dismisses Yash Diyal, Lockie Ferguson, Abhinav Manhor, and Rahul Tewatia in the 20th over.
In International Cricket, no bowler has ever taken six wickets in a single over. However, three players in local club matches have reached this milestone.
In domestic cricket, three bowlers have taken five wickets in one over. This record is held by Indian, Bangladeshi, and Kiwi cricketers.