We have seen several great ODI performances over the years. These have stunned analysts and fans alike. These batting performances have led them to the top of ODI records. But who do you think has scored the most ODI runs in a calendar year?
Batters of the years have broken records after records in One-Day Cricket, and this record is one of them. So who has scored the most number of runs in ODI cricket history? Who has been the most prolific batter for his country? Well, this article has the complete information so let’s move on.
Top 10 Players with Most Runs in ODI in a Calendar Year
Sachin Tendulkar (1895 runs in 1998)
Number one on the list, and why not? The little master has played some splendid knocks for India over the years. Called the God of Cricket, and rightly so, he is the greatest Batman to grace the cricket field. Compared to the likes of Bradman, few have come closer to what he has achieved during his career.
- In 1998, Sachin Tendulkar scored the most ODI runs in a calendar year. He scored 1894 runs and became the top batsman with the most runs in a calendar year in ODI.
- He scored these runs in 33 innings at an average of 65.31.
- That year, he faced 1854 balls, scoring an SR of 102.
- With a high score of 143, he scored 9 hundred and 7 fifties during that year.
- He also hit 188 fours and 40 sixes during the year.
Sourav Ganguly (1781 runs in 1999)
The current president of BCCI and the former captain of the Indian team, Sourav Ganguly, was a classy batsman. Known as Dada by his teammates and called the Maharaja of Cricket by the fans, he was one of the finest batsmen Bengal has ever produced. He had a lot of memorable moments in Indian Jersey. Also, He held the record for scoring the second-highest runs for India in a calendar year.
- He scored 1781 runs in 41 innings.
- His average was 46.60, with an SR of 70.
- With a high score of 183, Virat scored 4 hundred and 10 fifties during the year
- Facing 2343 balls, he hit 183 fours and 26 sixes.
Rahul Dravid (1761 runs in 1999)
Currently, Dravid is the head coach of the Indian Cricket team. He was a phenomenal batter. He also served as the captain of the Indian team. Before this, he also served in the Under-19 and the list A setup. Known as Mr dependable or The Wall, he is widely rated as one of the soberest batters ever. He is the fourth highest run-scorer in Test cricket behind Sachin, Ponting, and Kallis. He never had a golden duck in the 286 innings he plays.
- In 41 innings, he scored 1761 runs.
- He did this at an average of 46.34 and an SR of 75.
- With a high score of 153, he hit 164 fours and 12 sixes.
- Facing 2343 balls, he scored 8 hundred and 3 fifties.
Sachin Tendulkar (1611 runs in 1996)
The little master has been the highest run scorer in a calendar year for Indians on more than one occasion. Being the highest run-getter in 1998, he was the fourth highest run score in One-Day history in 1996. This was another remarkable year for Sachin during his illustrious career.
- During 32 innings, he scored 1611 runs.
- His average during the year was 53.70 and an SR of 82.40.
- Facing 1995 balls, he scored 163 fours and 17 sixes.
- Having a high score of 137, he scored 6 hundred and 9 fifties.
- He didn’t get out on duck during the year.
Mathew Hayden (1601 runs in 2007)
The pair of Mathew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist was the most destructive pair of One day Cricket History. They totally changed the norm the way Openers behaved before. He was an aggressive opener of the team who enjoyed considerable success from 2003-2011, known as the Golden era of Australian Cricket. Hayden has the honor of scoring the second highest score in test history when he scored 380 against Zimbabwe in 2003.
- Mathew Hayden has the record for most runs for Australia in a calendar year in One day international. In 2007, he scored 1601 runs in 30 innings.
- He did that at an average of 59.29 and an SR of 89.19.
- A no.3 batsman, he scored 5 hundred and 6 fifties during this time with a high score of 181.
- He also hit 35 sixes and 168 fours during that year.
Saeed Anwar (1595 runs in 1996)
He was an explosive Left-handed batsman. Regarded as one of the most stylish batters ever, he has twenty hundred for Pakistan in ODI. He also holds the record for having the most number of hundreds for Pakistan in ODI’s. He was also the highest scorer for Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup.
- Saeed Anwar is the highest runs scorer for Pakistan in ODI in a calendar year. He played 36 innings in 1996 and scored 1595 runs at an average of 51.45.
- With an SR of 91.56, he hit 156 fours and 20 sixes in the year.
- With a high score of 115, he scored 3 hundred and 10 fifties in the year.
- During the entire year, he never got out on a duck.
Sourav Ganguly (1579 runs in 2000)
The Maharaja of Cricket returns to the list again as Ganguly had another prolific year in 2000. Dada marked the year by becoming the 7th highest runs scorer in the history of Odis. This was the second time he had appeared on the list, while also being the second highest run-getter in 1999. So Ganguly had prolific back-to-back years.
- In 32 innings, he scored 1579 runs.
- His average during the year was 56.39 and a SR of 82.
- Facing 1908 balls, he hit 151 fours and 35 sixes during the years
- .He also scored 7 hundred and 6 fifties during this time.
- He had a high score of 141 and didn’t get out for a duck the entire year.
Rohit Sharma (1590 runs in 2019)
Rohit Sharma is the most aggressive opener of the ongoing era. He is the only batter who smashes three double hundred in One Day matches. He also holds the record of scoring the highest score in ODI history when he scored 264. An ICC ODI cricketer of the year in 2019, he’s known for his aggressive batting.
- Rohit Sharma is the most recent history in the list of top 10 players with the most ODI runs in A year. In 2019, he played 27 innings, he scored 1590 runs.
- This year he had an average of 57 and an SR of almost 90.
- With a high score of 159, he scored 7 hundred and 6 fifties.
- He also hit 146 fours and 36 sixes.
Martin Guptill (1589 runs in 2015)
Martin Guptill has been a major part of the New Zealand team since his debut. He is the leading batter with the most runs by an individual in ICC World Cup matches and the second-highest run scorer in a single batting in ODI (237 not out). He was the first batsman from New Zealand and overall the fifth Batsman to score a One-Day double century.
- With 1589 runs in 32 innings he became the first player with the most runs in One Day International matches for New Zealand.
In the year 2015, he played 32 innings and scored 1589 runs.
- He did this at an average of 55 and a SR of almost 97. With a high score of 237, he scored 4 hundred and 6 fifties.
- Facing 1542 balls, he scored 162 fours and 42 sixes.
Mark Waugh (1468 runs in 1999)
The younger of the Waugh brothers, he was nicknamed the junior. He has also been a national selector for a time. His family has a cricketing background, with his older brother a cricketer. He has been a great use for Cricket Australia and has played some good knocks.
- In 1999 Mark played 36 innings and scored 1468 runs.
- He did this at an average of 44 and a SR of 76
- He faced 1942 balls, scoring 135 fours and 6 sixes.
- His highest score that year was 106 with 2 hundred and 11 fifties.