Test cricket is the ultimate Test of not just your technique but also your nerves. A batter must remain unfazed by failure and get up again for the next innings. Sometimes, the batter has to stay for a long time to win or draw a match. This makes Test matches different from other formats of the game. Many batters have been prolific in first-class Cricket. Still, they could not make it big in Test matches due to their inability to handle pressure and failures. In this list, we look at some cricketers who stand firm on the wicket and wear the crown of most not outs in test Cricket history.
Although this record is related to batting, this list is dominated by prominent bowlers in cricket history. Steve Waugh and Shivnarine Chanderpaul are the only batsmen on this list who make 10000 plus runs in test cricket.
In 2009, James Anderson broke the record of legendary fast bowler Courtney Walsh (61). He became the number one player with the most not-outs in test cricket history. Till now, Anderson remained not out 105 times in test cricket.
James Anderson is the leading active fast bowler with the most wickets across all formats. But, he is not too good with the bat as he scored only 1284 runs in 174 matches; still, he is leading this list with a good margin.
- At home, he has 56 not-outs in 98 Test games.
- At away, he has 45 not-outs in 68 matches.
- At neutral, he has four not-out in 6 games.
Mostly Australian, Indian, and Kiwi bowlers struggle to get Anderson Wicket.
Courteny Walsh is one of the greatest fast bowlers in Cricket. He was part of a lethal fast bowling attack that will be remembered forever.
Courteny Walsh holds the record of most not outs in Test from 2002 to 2009. In 132 matches, he remained not out 61 times.
- At home, he has 23 not-outs in 58 matches.
- At away, he has 38 not-outs in 74 matches.
Most of his not-out is against Kangaroos (23).
Muralidaran is mainly known for his spin bowling. But he is the only Sri Lankan player included in this list. Murali has 56 not out in test cricket.
- At home, he has 30 not out in 73 matches.
- At away, he has 26 not out in 60 matches.
Bob Willis has appeared in 90 test matches for England. He has more than 300 Test Wickets in English kit. Bob Willis was unbeaten in 55 test innings. More interestingly, he also has 12 ducks in test cricket.
- At home, he has 27 not-outs in 41 matches.
- At away, he has 28 not outs in 49 matches.
Out of 55, twenty-one times, he remained not out against Australia.
Chris Martin has the highest not out for New Zealand in Test Games. He played in 71 matches and remained not out 52 times. Martin has 233 wickets with 10 five wickets and one ten-wicket haul.
- At home, he has 28 not outs in 38 matches.
- At away, he has 24 not outs in 33 matches.
English, South African, and Sri Lankan bowlers failed 30 times to get his wicket.
Glenn McGrath is known for his lethal reverse swing bowling. He is one of the most prominent fast bowlers of the 20th century. Glenn McGrath has served Australian Cricket for 15 years.
McGrath has 51 not out in test cricket which is the highest by any Aussie batter.
- At home, he has 35 not outs in 55 matches.
- At away, he has 15 not outs in 65 matches.
- At a neutral venue, he has only one not out.
- He has most not out against England (16).
Shivnarine Chanderpaul is the first proper batsman who made his place on this list. He has scored 11867 runs with an average of 51. Shivnarine has 49 not outs in 163 Test matches.
- At home, he has 27 not outs in 81 matches.
- At away, he has 22 not out in 81 matches.
Ishant Sharma has the most not outs for Indian Cricket team. He played 105 matches and managed to survive his wicket 47 times. He took 311 test wickets with 11 five-wicket and one ten-wicket haul.
- At home, he has 29 not outs in 62 matches.
- At away, he has 17 not outs in 42 matches.
- At neutral, he has only one not out.
Ishant Sharma has most not out against Australia (13) and England (12).
Trent Boult is known for his straight left-hand action, quick bowling, and inswinger to the right-hand batter. Boult played 68 matches for New Zealand and remained not out in 46 test matches.
- At home, he has 19 not outs in 37 matches.
- At away, he has 22 not out in 34 matches.
- At neutral, he has five not outs in 7 matches.
Steve Waugh has 45 not outs in 101 matches. He is the only player in the top 10 list for most not out in ODI and Test cricket. Steve Waugh was a complete allrounder; Steve was equally good with bowl and bat. He scored 10927 runs and 92 wickets in test matches.
- At home, he has 20 not outs in 89 matches.
- At away, he has 25 not outs in 7 matches.
- At a neutral venue, he has one not-out.