In IPL, batting-oriented pitches make it difficult for bowlers to take most wickets. But few Bowlers use their skills effectively and succeed to trap batsmen with some speed, swing, and slower varieties. Dwayne Bravo is one of the few bowlers in the world who uses a slower one very effectively, which makes him the highest wicket taker in IPL.
Highest Wicket Taker Bowlers in IPL
In this article, we will have a look at the top 10 bowlers who have taken the highest wickets in IPL history.
01. Dwayne Bravo
Dwayne Bravo is a legendary West Indian cricketer who has excelled with both the bat and the bowl in the IPL. He is the leading wicket taker bowler in IPL, with 183 wickets in 160 games with an 8.38 economy. He took the most number of wickets against Mumbai Indians (33) and Punjab Kings (26). Bravo was the Purple Cap winner of IPL 2013 and 2015.
Since 2008, he has been a member of three IPL teams: the Chennai Super Kings, the Gujarat Lions, and the Mumbai Indians. His detailed wicket analysis in IPL for three teams is as follows:
- Dwayne Bravo top the list with the most wickets for Chennai Super Kings, he took 140 wickets in 115 IPL matches with a 22 batting average.
- For MI, he took 26 wickets in 122 IPL matches with a 19 batting average.
- For GL, he took 17 wickets in 19 IPL matches with a 29 batting average.
02. Lasith Malinga
Although Lasith Malinga retired from cricket, his contributions to the Mumbai Indians will live on in IPL history. He played for only one IPL team, the Mumbai Indians, and ended up being the highest wicket taker for Mumbai Indians. He took 170 wickets in 122 IPL games. His economy rate of 7.13 and bowling average of 19.3 are one of the best in IPL history. Lasith Malinga’s 5 for 13 was the best bowling figure for Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League, surpassing Harbhajan Singh’s previous best of 4 for 17 against Delhi Daredevils at Centurion in 2009 and ranking third in the IPL.
03. Amit Mishra
Amit Mishra took 166 wickets in 154 IPL matches for Delhi Capitals, Sunrisers Hyderabad, and Deccan Chargers. If we look at the IPL wickets taken by spin bowlers, he is the highest wicket-taker in IPL history. His wonderful bowling average of 23.95 and economy of 7.35 reflect his best IPL bowling career. His detailed wicket analysis for IPL teams is as follows:
- Amit Mishra with 106 wickets is the leading spin bowler for Mumbai Indians.
- For Sunrisers Hyderabad, he took 28 wickets in 27 IPL matches with a 22 batting average.
- For Deccan Chargers, he took 32 wickets in 28 IPL matches.
04. Yuzvendra Chahal
Yuzvendra Chahal took 166 wickets in 154 IPL matches for Mumbai Indians, Rajasthan Royals, and Royal Challengers Bangalore. With an outstanding bowling average of 21, he took three 04 wicket hauls and one 05 wicket haul. His bowling strike rate of 16 is one of the best in IPL history. His detailed wicket analysis is as follows:
- For RCB, he is the highest wicket taker, by taking 139 wickets in 113 matches from 2014 to 2021.
- For RR, he took 23 wickets in 12 IPL matches.
- For MI, he played only 1 match in 2013, and that went wicketless.
05. Piyush Chawla
Piyush Chawla has played for four IPL teams: Chennai Super Kings, Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders, and Mumbai Indians. He took 157 wickets with a bowling average of 27 in 165 IPL matches. He bowled 545 overs in his IPL career and is ranked fourth on the list of players who have bowled the most overs, chasing Ravi Ashwin, Harbhajan Singh, and Sunil Narine. His detailed wickets analysis is as follows;
- Piyush Chawal is the highest wicket taker for Kings XI Punjab by taking 84 wickets in 87 matches from 2008 to 2013.
- For KKR, he took 66 wickets in 70 matches from 2013 to 2019.
- For MI, he took only 01 wicket in 01 match played in 2021.
- For CSK, he took 06 wickets in 07 matches in 2020.
06. Ravi Ashwin
Ravi Ashwin succeeded not only in international cricket but also in the Indian Premier League. He took 154 wickets in 179 matches with a 28 bowling average. He bowled 631 overs which is the most number of overs by any bowler in IPL history. He played for 05 IPL teams named: Delhi Capitals, Rajasthan Royals, Rising Pune Supergiants, Kings XI Punjab, and Chennai Super Kings. His detailed wicket analysis for each team is as follows:
- For KXIP, he took 25 wickets in 28 matches from 2018 to 2019.
- For RR, he took 09 wickets in 12 matches in 2022.
- For RPS, he took 10 wickets in 14 matches.
- For CSK, he took 90 wickets in 97 matches from 2009 to 2015.
07. Bhuvenshwar Kumar
Bhuvenshwar Kumar is well-known for his seam bowling, which poses a significant threat to opening batters in the IPL. He has appeared for two IPL teams, the Pune Warriors and the Sunrisers Hyderabad. He took 152 wickets in 143 IPL matches with a 25 bowling average. His detailed wicket analysis for each team is shown below.
- For Pune Warriors, he took 24 wickets in 31 matches from 2011 to 2013.
- For Sunrisers Hyderabad, he is the leading wicket taking 128 wickets in 112 IPL matches.
08. Sunil Narine
Sunil Narine has always thrilled us by delivering mysterious bowls to batters. From the start of his IPL career, he played for only one team, the Kolkata Knight Riders, where he has been a key member of their bowling lineup. He helped KKR win many times and took 151 wickets in 146 IPL matches. He has 07 four-wicket haul which is the most number of four-wicket haul by any IPL bowler.
09. Harbhajan Singh
Harbhajan Singh has played for the Kolkata Knight Riders, Mumbai Indians, and Chennai Super Kings in the IPL. He took 150 wickets in 163 IPL matches with a bowling average of 26 and an outstanding economy of 7.07. His detailed wicket analysis for each team is shown below.
- For MI, he took 127 wickets in 136 matches from 2008 to 2017.
- For CSK, he took 23 wickets in 24 IPL matches from 2018 to 2019.
- For KKR, he played only 03 matches but could not take any wicket.
10. Jasprit Bumrah
Jasprit Bumrah Played for Mumbai Indians and took 140 wickets in 127 IPL matches with a 23 bowling average. He is the second-highest wicket taker for Mumbai Indians after Lasith Malinga who took 170 wickets. He bowled only 07 maiden overs out of a total of 446 overs.