Due to Pakistan’s poor showing in the 2016 T20 World Cup, when Shahid Afridi served as captain, Sarfraz Ahmed was named as the team’s new t20 captain. He gained popularity over time due to his outstanding leadership, and his proudest achievement was winning the ICC Champions Trophy in 2017. Sarfraz take Pakistan to next level with his captaincy stats and records.
All Formats Captaincy Records
Sarfraz lead 100 matches across all formats for Pakistan and won 61 and lost 36 matches with an overall win % of 61 percent.
Sarfraz Ahmed’s Captaincy Record in ODI
In 50 ODI matches played under Sarfraz Ahmed’s captaincy, Pakistan won 28 and lost 20 matches with a win percentage of 56, which is one of the best among Pakistani captains in ODI cricket. Under Sarfraz Captaincy, Pakistan won 05 ODI series while 03 series were lost and one was drawn.
Here is the Sarfraz Ahmed captaincy record based on the venue in the table below.
|Venues||Matches||Won||Win %||Lost||No Result|
Sarfraz Ahmed Yearly ODI Captaincy Record
2017 was an excellent year for Sarfraz’s captaincy in the ODI in which he won 11 matches out of q3 matches and lost only 02 matches. All the remaining years have ups and downs in terms of victory. One of the most exciting victories that came under his leadership was the ICC Champions Trophy which he won for Pakistan in England.
Sarfraz Ahmed T20I Captaincy Record
- Sarfraz Ahmed was appointed as a T20I captain for Pakistan in 2016. Under his captaincy in T20 cricket, Pakistan performed well and won 11 consecutive T20I series, which is an incredible record.
- Pakistan played 37 matches under Sarfraz’s Captaincy, winning 29 and losing only 08 matches with a win percentage of 78 percent. This win percentage is still one of the best among other t20 captaincies in history.
- Sarfraz Ahmed also improved Pakistan’s ranking in T20 cricket and led Pakistan to the number one position in the ICC ranking.
- Sarfraz has high winning percentage than Babar as Captain.
T20 Series Win Under Sarfraz Captaincy
Under Sarfraz Ahmed’s leadership, Pakistan played 26 bilateral series, winning 22 and losing only 4. This is one of the best captaincy records in T20 international history. What a magical captain was Sarfraz with his technique on the field as a captain.
Pakistan T20I Ranking Under Sarfraz Captaincy
- Pakistan ranked in the number one position in ICC t20 ranking in November 2017 for 03 days under the leadership of Sarfraz Ahmed. This was the first time Pakistan achieved this record.
- Then Pakistan went down and came to the number one position again on 07 November 2007 and remained there till January 2018 for 57 days under Sarfraz’s captaincy.
Sarfraz Ahmed Yearly T20I Matches Record
Here is the record of T20I matches captaincy of Sarfraz Ahmed each year.
Sarfraz Ahmed Test Captaincy Record
Sarfaraz Ahmed took the charge of captaincy from one the most successful Test captain of Pakistani team Misbah ul Haq. Pakistan played 13 test matches under Sarfraz’s captaincy and won just 04 and lost 08 matches with a 30 winning percentage.
Sarfraz Ahmed Home and Away Captaincy Record
Sarfraz Ahmed was a very successful captain on a neutral venue by securing a 92 % win percentage. At the Home venue, he secured a 60 % win percentage, the lowest on his venue performance as a captain.
The year 2018 was the most successful for Sarfraz Ahmed as he managed to win 17 matches out of 19 in that year.
Pakistan played 06 test series under Sarfraz’s captaincy, won only 01 series, and lost 04 series and 01 series drawn. None of the series were played at the home venue under Sarfraz’s captaincy.
|Matches||Matches||Won||Win %||Lost||No Result|
Sarfraz Ahmed Captaincy Record in Champions Trophy and Worldcup
Asia Cup, ICC Champions Trophy 2017, and ICC World Cup 2019 are the three biggest ODI cricket competitions in which Sarfraz Ahmed captained Pakistan. Under Sarfraz Ahmed’s guidance, Pakistan won the ICC Champions Trophy, one of the most remarkable records Sarfraz has for Pakistan and which Pakistani cricket fans will never forget.
Here is his detailed analysis of the ODI captaincy record in a major event for Sarfraz.
Frequently Asked Question
Why was Sarfraz Ahmed removed from Captaincy?
Sarfaraz was recorded using racial remarks at Andile Phehlukwayo in the second game of the series against South Africa in January 2019 while speaking into the stump microphones. He played in the third ODI match before the International Cricket Council (ICC) suspended him for the following matches, causing him to miss the final two ODIs and the first two Twenty20 of the tour.
In Sarfaraz’s unavailability, Shoaib Malik led the Pakistani squad as captain. The PCB announced the following month that Sarfaraz would serve as the team’s captain in the 2019 Cricket World Cup. However, due to a bad World Cup performance, he was permanently removed from captaincy and dropped from the Pakistani team.
How many ODI series did Pakistan win under Sarfraz’s Captaincy?
- Pakistan played total 09 bilateral ODI series under the leadership of Sarfraz Ahmed.
- Out of 09 series, 02 series were played at a neutral venue, 01 was played in Pakistan (Home) and 06 was played at an away venue.
Conclusion: Sarfraz was an average captain in Test and ODI for Pakistan but he was an outstanding captain in T20 cricket for Pakistan. He won consecutive 11 T20 series for Pakistan which is an incredible record of t20 cricket history. Also, his won percentage in t20 cricket is one of the highest among other teams.